The police have also issued advice on keeping your homes secure as the warmer weather arrives. They warn that it only takes a moment for a sneak thief to get into your property and steal a handbag, wallet or other portable valuables. They advise:
- Remember to make sure your door is locked by turning the key - some ‘paddle and stub’-handled doors might seem to be locked by lifting the handle, but can still be opened from outside.
- Take the keys out of the lock of doors and windows and keep them safely out of sight.
- Fit motion sensing security lights around your property
- Keep tools locked up in a secure shed or garage
- Make sure garden furniture and wheelie bins can’t be moved to gain access to upstairs windows
- Lock up and sett the alarm, if you have one, at night as well as when you go out
- Hide your keys and handbag or wallet safely out of sight
- Keep cash in the bank and jewellery and other high-value items with a specialist secure storage company
- Keep photographs and a description of items with sentimental value